Education—both directly of children, and of parents and teachers — is currently the primary form of treatment for autistic spectrum disorders.
Educating Children With Autism
Committee on Educational Interventions
for Children with Autism
National Research Council, 2001
- Technical assistance
- On-site collaborative consultation
- Mentoring, coaching and demonstration teaching
- Information dissemination
- Program evaluation and quality assurance
- Links to educators and professionals from other disciplines
- Increased capacity of schools and service providers to provide appropriate assessments and effective programs for children with ASD.
- Retention of qualified personnel
- Enhanced partnerships with families
- Families, schools and service providers are supported at the local, regional and state levels.
- Children with ASD reach goals of personal independence and social responsibility
- School Support Services are provided by an interdisciplinary team consisting of certified special education teachers, speech/language pathologists, occupational therapists and psychologists.